The world continued to read victoriously in 2018 even though people are spending time more and more on watching Netflix or Youtube.
1. Which Countries Read the Most
India, Thailand and China are the number one, two and three correspondingly for reading the most in 2018
|Rank||Country||Hours spent in reading per person per week in 2018|
2. American Reading Habits in 2018
Though US stands at the number 22, there were no laggards on reading habit.
- 74% of Americans have read a book in the past 12 months in any format
- 67% have read a print book
- 18% have listened to an audiobook
- 77% of Americans with ages less than 29 shopped for books
- 37% of adults with a high school degree or less have reported not reading a book in any format in the past year.
- 7% of college graduates have reported not reading a book in any format in the past year.
3. European Reading Habits in 2018
- Households in Europe spend more on books and newspapers than they do on package holidays.
- Europeans spend €200 ($240) per person on books and newspapers annually.
3.1. European countries that read the most and least
|Rank||Country||Average time spent reading books per day (minutes)|
3.2. Most popular books
4. African Reading Habits in 2018
- African mobile users have spent an average of over four million hours reading books on their mobile phones so far in 2018, represeting a 32% increase from 2017.
- Nigeria, South Africa and Ivory Coast are the countries with the highest mobile and online reading populations in 2018.
- 65% of mobile readers on the continent are men, while 35% are women.
- Women tend to spend 11.5 minutes reading on average, while men read 6.5 minutes.
- 95.6% of Algerians like reading
- 90% prefer print to eBooks
- 52% read fiction
- 68% of those surveyed read Arabic, compared to 41.6% in French and 12.7% in English
5. Australia - The Harry Potter domination
Most popular books borrowed from Australian libraries in 2018:
6. New Zealand
- 86% of New Zealand adults had read or started to read at least one book in the past year, down from 88% last year.
- 57% read books by New Zealand authors or poets in the past year
- Poetry is surprisingly popular, with 30% having read poetry in the past year.
7. Which countries are a booklovers' paradise?
15 countries where people owned the most books when they were 16
|Rank||Country||Number of Books Owned|