Thesaurus for accept
- related terms
Pronunciation of accept: AE0 K S EH1 P T (æk'sɛpt)
Number of syllables of accept: 2
Pronunciation Video of accept
Definition of accept
- (v): tolerate or accommodate oneself to; "I shall have to accept these unpleasant working conditions"; "I swallowed the insult"; "She has learned to live with her husband''s little idiosyncracies"
- (v): consider or hold as true; "I cannot accept the dogma of this church"; "accept an argument"
- (v): be sexually responsive to, used of a female domesticated mammal; "The cow accepted the bull"
- (v): react favorably to; consider right and proper; "People did not accept atonal music at that time"; "We accept the idea of universal health care"
- (v): give an affirmative reply to; respond favorably to; "I cannot accept your invitation"; "I go for this resolution"
- (v): make use of or accept for some purpose; "take a risk"; "take an opportunity"
- (v): of a deliberative body: receive (a report) officially, as from a committee
- (v): receive willingly something given or offered; "The only girl who would have him was the miller''s daughter"; "I won''t have this dog in my house!"; "Please accept my present"
- (v): admit into a group or community; "accept students for graduate study"; "We''ll have to vote on whether or not to admit a new member"
- (v): take on as one''s own the expenses or debts of another person; "I''ll accept the charges"; "She agreed to bear the responsibility"
- (v): be designed to hold or take; "This surface will not take the dye"