Thesaurus for admit
Pronunciation of admit: AH0 D M IH1 T
Number of syllables of admit: 2
Pronunciation Video of admit
Definition of admit
- (v): declare to be true or admit the existence or reality or truth of; "He admitted his errors"; "She acknowledged that she might have forgotten"
- (v): admit into a group or community; "accept students for graduate study"; "We''ll have to vote on whether or not to admit a new member"
- (v): allow participation in or the right to be part of; permit to exercise the rights, functions, and responsibilities of; "admit someone to the profession"; "She was admitted to the New Jersey Bar"
- (v): allow to enter; grant entry to; "We cannot admit non-members into our club"
- (v): serve as a means of entrance; "This ticket will admit one adult to the show"
- (v): have room for; hold without crowding; "This hotel can accommodate 250 guests"; "The theater admits 300 people"; "The auditorium can''t hold more than 500 people"
- (v): give access or entrance to; "The French doors admit onto the yard"
- (v): afford possibility; "This problem admits of no solution"; "This short story allows of several different interpretations"