Pronunciation of advance: AH0 D V AE1 N S (æd'væns)
Number of syllables of advance: 2
Definition of advance
- (n): the act of moving forward toward a goal
- (n): increase in price or value; "the news caused a general advance on the stock market"
- (n): a tentative suggestion designed to elicit the reactions of others; "she rejected his advances"
- (n): a change for the better; progress in development
- (n): a movement forward; "he listened for the progress of the troops"
- (n): an amount paid before it is earned
- (v): rise in rate or price; "The stock market gained 24 points today"
- (v): develop in a positive way; "He progressed well in school"; "My plants are coming along"; "Plans are shaping up"
- (v): increase or raise; "boost the voltage in an electrical circuit"
- (v): develop further; "We are advancing technology every day"
- (v): bring forward for consideration or acceptance; "advance an argument"
- (v): obtain advantages, such as points, etc.; "The home team was gaining ground"; "After defeating the Knicks, the Blazers pulled ahead of the Lakers in the battle for the number-one playoff berth in the Western Conference"
- (v): move forward, also in the metaphorical sense; "Time marches on"
- (v): cause to move forward; "Can you move the car seat forward?"
- (v): move forward; "we have to advance clocks and watches when we travel eastward"
- (v): pay in advance; "Can you advance me some money?"
- (v): give a promotion to or assign to a higher position; "John was kicked upstairs when a replacement was hired"; "Women tend not to advance in the major law firms"; "I got promoted after many years of hard work"
- (v): contribute to the progress or growth of; "I am promoting the use of computers in the classroom"
Examples of advance
- We watched the guns advance in amazement.
- Sorry in advance for the remedial question.
- The soldiers advance to the Channel.
- They planned to resume in advance at daybreak.
- Apologies in advance for the interruption and question.
- The process needs forethought in advance.
- They become cathartic as they advance to maturity.
- The winners would advance to the Semifinal Round.
- I apologize in advance if that is impermissible.
- Slavish gratitude is promised in advance.
Advancing Your Understanding of Advance
Introduction: Advances in technology and science have led to remarkable developments in various industries. However, it is essential to understand what advance means, how to use the word correctly, and what its variations are. This article aims to provide you with an in-depth understanding of advance and its usage.
Question 1: What is the full meaning of advance?
To advance is to move forward in some way. It can mean making progress, developing, or improving. The term can be used in different contexts, including education, technology, science, and finances. The full meaning of advance depends on the particular context it is used. For instance, in education, it means moving to the next level or class, but in finance, it refers to obtaining money before it is due.
Question 2: Which is correct advanced or advance?
The answer to this question depends on how the word is used in a sentence. Advanced is an adjective used to describe a person or an object that is highly developed or progressed. For instance, the phrase advanced technology refers to highly evolved or modern technology. On the other hand, the word advance is a verb that means to move forward or to make progress. For instance, "she advanced to the next level." Thus, both words are used correctly depending on the sentence structure.
Question 3: How do you use advance?
The word advance can be used in various ways, including noun, verb, or adjective. As a noun, it refers to money paid or received before it is due. For example, "I received an advance payment for my work." As a verb, it means to move forward or make progress. For example, "he advanced his studies and got a degree." As an adjective, it describes something that is highly developed or progressed. For instance, "the advanced technology brought about significant change."
Question 4: What is the meaning of advancely?
Advancely is not a standard word used in English. However, it can be formed by adding the suffix -ly to the word advance, which means to move forward or to progress. In that case, advancely would mean to move forward with a particular process or to make progress in any given context.
Conclusion: In conclusion, advance is a versatile word that has several applications when used correctly. It is essential to understand its full meaning and use it correctly in various contexts, depending on whether it is being used as a noun, verb, or adjective. By having an understanding of the word advance, we can better communicate and appreciate the full spectrum of human progress and development.