Thesaurus for allow
Pronunciation of allow: AH0 L AW1 (ə'laʊ)
Number of syllables of allow: 2
Pronunciation Video of allow
Definition of allow
- (v): allow or plan for a certain possibility; concede the truth or validity of something; "I allow for this possibility"; "The seamstress planned for 5% shrinkage after the first wash"
- (v): give or assign a share of money or time to a particular person or cause; "I will earmark this money for your research"
- (v): consent to, give permission; "She permitted her son to visit her estranged husband"; "I won''t let the police search her basement"; "I cannot allow you to see your exam"
- (v): allow the presence of or allow (an activity) without opposing or prohibiting; "We don''t allow dogs here"; "Children are not permitted beyond this point"; "We cannot tolerate smoking in the hospital"
- (v): let have; "grant permission"; "Mandela was allowed few visitors in prison"
- (v): grant as a discount or in exchange; "The camera store owner allowed me $50 on my old camera"
- (v): make it possible through a specific action or lack of action for something to happen; "This permits the water to rush in"; "This sealed door won''t allow the water come into the basement"; "This will permit the rain to run off"
- (v): allow the other (baseball) team to score; "give up a run"
- (v): make a possibility or provide opportunity for; permit to be attainable or cause to remain; "This leaves no room for improvement"; "The evidence allows only one conclusion"; "allow for mistakes"; "leave lots of time for the trip"; "This procedure provides
- (v): afford possibility; "This problem admits of no solution"; "This short story allows of several different interpretations"
Examples of allow
- They allow careful control of the belay rope.
- They have extra maxillary teeth to allow proper mastication of plant material.
- Allow me to disabuse you of that notion.
- The device would allow for a seamless integration.
- They did not allow the organization burgeon.
- So at the least let us allow ourselves to be more dignified than the animals.
- Allow your gumption to build up.
- I'll allow the question gestate for a while.
- To allow the chattering classes to keep chattering
- People should allow them to follow contumacy.