Thesaurus for alter
Pronunciation of alter: AO1 L T ER0 ('ɔltər)
Number of syllables of alter: 2
Pronunciation Video of alter
Definition of alter
- (v): remove the ovaries of; "Is your cat spayed?"
- (v): make or become different in some particular way, without permanently losing one''s or its former characteristics or essence; "her mood changes in accordance with the weather"; "The supermarket''s selection of vegetables varies according to the season"
- (v): cause to change; make different; cause a transformation; "The advent of the automobile may have altered the growth pattern of the city"; "The discussion has changed my thinking about the issue"
- (v): insert words into texts, often falsifying it thereby
- (v): make an alteration to; "This dress needs to be altered"
Examples of alter
- Only the specific microorganism will alter the optical characteristics.
- This could potentially alter the results of the study.
- Lilith is exploited only meagerly as Maddie's lusty alter ego.
- The church hasa stained glass window behind the alter.
- Riparian forests alter the microclimate.
- Skinner is the alter ego of The Invisible Man.
- A blunder on the part of the Senate can not change or alter the Constitution.
- First to alter the manual of style to disentangle these issues.
- He is the villainous alter ego of Rainbow the Clown.
- German colonialism did little to alter the existing stratified social system.