- (n): how much there is of something that you can quantify
- (n): how much of something is available; "an adequate amount of food for four people"
- (n): a quantity obtained by addition
- (n): a quantity of money; "he borrowed a large sum"; "the amount he had in cash was insufficient"
- (v): develop into; "This idea will never amount to anything"; "nothing came of his grandiose plans"
- (v): add up in number or quantity; "The bills amounted to $2,000"; "The bill came to $2,000"
- (v): be tantamount or equivalent to; "Her action amounted to a rebellion"