Thesaurus for appear
Pronunciation of appear: AH0 P IH1 R (ə'pir)
Number of syllables of appear: 2
Pronunciation Video of appear
Definition of appear
- (v): come into sight or view; "He suddenly appeared at the wedding"; "A new star appeared on the horizon"
- (v): come into being or existence, or appear on the scene; "Then the computer came along and changed our lives"; "Homo sapiens appeared millions of years ago"
- (v): be issued or published; "Did your latest book appear yet?"; "The new Woody Allen film hasn''t come out yet"
- (v): appear as a character on stage or appear in a play, etc.; "Gielgud appears briefly in this movie"; "She appeared in `Hamlet'' on the London stage"
- (v): give a certain impression or have a certain outward aspect; "She seems to be sleeping"; "This appears to be a very difficult problem"; "This project looks fishy"; "They appeared like people who had not eaten or slept for a long time"
- (v): seem to be true, probable, or apparent; "It seems that he is very gifted"; "It appears that the weather in California is very bad"
- (v): present oneself formally, as before a (judicial) authority; "He had to appear in court last month"; "She appeared on several charges of theft"
Examples of appear
- Nanna and Thora appear, and they seem receptive to the men's entreaties.
- Pimples sometimes appear due to hormone imbalances.
- The two sides appear irreconcilable.
- Steel prices appear to be highly remunerative.
- Sylphs appear on fairy tales.
- Bubble perms appear modish.
- The petals often appear crumpled.
- All the references section appear to be unavailable.
- Things appear to be shipshape, now.
- He continued to appear infrequently.