Pronunciation of apply: AH0 P L AY1 (ə'plaɪ)
Number of syllables of apply: 2
Definition of apply
- (v): ask (for something); "He applied for a leave of absence"; "She applied for college"; "apply for a job"
- (v): refer (a word or name) to a person or thing; "He applied this racial slur to me!"
- (v): put into service; make work or employ (something) for a particular purpose or for its inherent or natural purpose; "use your head!"; "we only use Spanish at home"; "I can''t make use of this tool"; "Apply a magnetic field here"; "This thinking was applied
- (v): apply to a surface; "She applied paint to the back of the house"; "Put on make-up!"
- (v): give or convey physically; "She gave him First Aid"; "I gave him a punch in the nose"
- (v): ensure observance of laws and rules; "Apply the rules to everyone";
- (v): avail oneself to; "apply a principle"; "practice a religion"; "use care when going down the stairs"; "use your common sense"; "practice non-violent resistance"
- (v): apply oneself to; "Please apply yourself to your homework"
- (v): be pertinent or relevant or applicable; "The same laws apply to you!"; "This theory holds for all irrational numbers"; "The same rules go for everyone"
- (v): be applicable to; as to an analysis; "This theory lends itself well to our new data"
Examples of apply
- Extraterritorial jurisdiction can apply internationally.
- Does the incompatibility still apply
- Does the stricture apply only to names
- Moreover, the question of exactness apply to a differential form.
- The apportionment rule would not apply.
- She can't apply the rules indiscriminately.
- Deductions also apply for brushing and hitting the apparatus.
- Horse owners apply liniments to the legs.
- However, the same comments apply to the galley as apply to the bed.
- Utilize new strategies to apply for job vacancies.
The Power of the Word 'Apply': Understanding its Meaning and Usage
Have you ever thought about the word 'apply' and its importance in our daily lives? From filling out job applications to applying sunscreen, this word has a vast range of uses. In this article, we will explore the meaning of 'apply' and its various applications.
Firstly, let's define what 'apply' means. It refers to the action of putting something into operation or use. This can apply in multiple contexts, such as applying for a job, applying makeup, or applying a theory in a research paper.
For example, in the sentence "He decided to apply for the position before the deadline," 'apply' means submitting a job application to be considered for the job.
But what about 'apply' in its plural form? The word 'applies' can be used to denote multiple applications of something. For instance, in the sentence "John made several applies to different universities," 'applies' refers to multiple attempts or applications.
Furthermore, have you ever heard the phrase 'apply yourself'? It means to concentrate your efforts and attention to completing a task that requires hard work or dedication. For instance, in the sentence "John needs to apply himself to studying for the exams," 'apply yourself' means to focus and put effort into studying.
To sum up, 'apply' is a versatile word that can be used in many contexts beyond just filling out a form or putting on makeup. It denotes an act of putting something into use, whether it be for something practical or more intangible, like effort and focus.
So, the next time you come across the word 'apply', take a moment to reflect on its meaning and how it applies to your life. You might be surprised at just how much this small word impacts your daily routine.