Thesaurus for approach
- attack, plan of attack, approaching, coming, access, approach path, glide path, glide slope, overture, advance, feeler, approach shot, air lane, airway, conceptualisation, conceptualization, flight path, formulation, golf shot, golf stroke, motion, move, movement, proffer, proposition, similarity, skyway, suggestion, swing, timing, way
Pronunciation of approach: AH0 P R OW1 CH (ə'proʊʧ)
Number of syllables of approach: 2
Pronunciation Video of approach
Definition of approach
- (n): the act of drawing spatially closer to something; "the hunter''s approach scattered the geese"
- (n): a relatively short golf shot intended to put the ball onto the putting green; "he lost the hole when his approach rolled over the green"
- (n): ideas or actions intended to deal with a problem or situation; "his approach to every problem is to draw up a list of pros and cons"; "an attack on inflation"; "his plan of attack was misguided"
- (n): a way of entering or leaving; "he took a wrong turn on the access to the bridge"
- (n): a close approximation; "the nearest approach to genius"
- (n): the temporal property of becoming nearer in time; "the approach of winter"
- (n): a tentative suggestion designed to elicit the reactions of others; "she rejected his advances"
- (n): the event of one object coming closer to another
- (n): the final path followed by an aircraft as it is landing
- (v): make advances to someone, usually with a proposal or suggestion; "I was approached by the President to serve as his adviser in foreign matters"
- (v): come near in time; "Winter is approaching"; "approaching old age"
- (v): move towards; "We were approaching our destination"; "They are drawing near"; "The enemy army came nearer and nearer"
- (v): begin to deal with; "approach a task"; "go about a difficult problem"; "approach a new project"
- (v): come near or verge on, resemble, come nearer in quality, or character; "This borders on discrimination!"; "His playing approaches that of Horowitz"