Thesaurus for approximate
Pronunciation of approximate: AH0 P R AA1 K S AH0 M AH0 T (ə'prɑksəmət)
Number of syllables of approximate: 4
Pronunciation Video of approximate
Definition of approximate
- (v): judge tentatively or form an estimate of (quantities or time); "I estimate this chicken to weigh three pounds"
- (v): be close or similar; "Her results approximate my own"
- (s): located close together; "with heads close together"; "approximate leaves grow together but are not united"
- (s): very close in resemblance; "sketched in an approximate likeness"; "a near likeness"
- (s): not quite exact or correct; "the approximate time was 10 o''clock"; "a rough guess"; "a ballpark estimate"
Examples of approximate
- The approximate circumference of the fort is 2600 meters.
- The switches circumscribe the approximate pivot location of the handle.
- The approximate population of the area is 4093.
- Every experimenter found approximate agreement with the theory.
- In firearms, the caliber is the approximate diameter of bullet used.
- The approximate center of the Solitario is located.
- The dot is in the approximate location of Abilene.
- Approximate dimensions of a common speeder car are given below.
- Mesquite is the approximate center of the valley.
- It is just shorthand for the approximate beginning of the conflict.