Pronunciation of area: EH1 R IY0 AH0 ('ɜriə)
Number of syllables of area: 3
Definition of area
- (n): a part of a structure having some specific characteristic or function; "the spacious cooking area provided plenty of room for servants"
- (n): the extent of a 2-dimensional surface enclosed within a boundary; "the area of a rectangle"; "it was about 500 square feet in area"
- (n): a part of an animal that has a special function or is supplied by a given artery or nerve; "in the abdominal region"
- (n): a subject of study; "it was his area of specialization"; "areas of interest include..."
- (n): a particular geographical region of indefinite boundary (usually serving some special purpose or distinguished by its people or culture or geography); "it was a mountainous area"; "Bible country"
- (n): a particular environment or walk of life; "his social sphere is limited"; "it was a closed area of employment"; "he''s out of my orbit"
Examples of area
- The Bill will subsume conservation area consent into the town and country planning system.
- The community was named for the proliferation of strawberry farms in the area.
- A small area of the country remained unoccupied by the Germans.
- The community is in the area of the Raft River Mountains.
- The area leads the country in production of milk.
- This site was near the area earmarked for the Indian community.
- The area is today one of the most culturally diverse in the country.
- Gulbahar is a green lush area with the best mulberry in the country.
- The Conejo Valley area is one of the most affluent areas in the country.
- The area of the country with the heaviest precipitation is the Kopet Dag Range.