Thesaurus for arrest
Pronunciation of arrest: ER0 EH1 S T
Number of syllables of arrest: 2
Pronunciation Video of arrest
Definition of arrest
- (n): the act of apprehending (especially apprehending a criminal); "the policeman on the beat got credit for the collar"
- (n): the state of inactivity following an interruption; "the negotiations were in arrest"; "held them in check"; "during the halt he got some lunch"; "the momentary stay enabled him to escape the blow"; "he spent the entire stop in his seat"
- (v): hold back, as of a danger or an enemy; check the expansion or influence of; "Arrest the downward trend"; "Check the growth of communism in Sout East Asia"; "Contain the rebel movement"; "Turn back the tide of communism"
- (v): take into custody; "the police nabbed the suspected criminals"
- (v): attract and fix; "His look caught her"; "She caught his eye"; "Catch the attention of the waiter"
- (v): cause to stop; "Halt the engines"; "Arrest the progress"; "halt the presses"