Thesaurus for assault
Pronunciation of assault: AH0 S AO1 L T (ə'sɔlt)
Number of syllables of assault: 2
Pronunciation Video of assault
Definition of assault
- (n): thoroughbred that won the triple crown in 1946
- (v): attack in speech or writing; "The editors of the left-leaning paper attacked the new House Speaker"
- (v): attack someone physically or emotionally; "The mugger assaulted the woman"; "Nightmares assailed him regularly"
- (v): force (someone) to have sex against their will; "The woman was raped on her way home at night"
Examples of assault
- Accounts of the assault differ markedly.
- They manage to elude the assault.
- The criminal was arrested for committing assault.
- Several soldiers have been charged with physical assault and verbal attack.
- The barrage wiped out the assault wave.
- Pressured by the Hurons to attack prematurely, the assault failed.
- Police probe serious River Heights assault.
- Sexual assault and rape can happen at college.
- A family wants the teenager who hit their son at school to be charged with assault and battery.
- They included sexual assault, attempted rape and carrying out lewd and libidinous practices towards children.