Thesaurus for assist
Pronunciation of assist: AH0 S IH1 S T (ə'sɪst)
Number of syllables of assist: 2
Pronunciation Video of assist
Definition of assist
- (n): (sports) the act of enabling another player to make a good play
- (n): the activity of contributing to the fulfillment of a need or furtherance of an effort or purpose; "he gave me an assist with the housework"; "could not walk without assistance"; "rescue party went to their aid"; "offered his help in unloading"
- (v): act as an assistant in a subordinate or supportive function
- (v): work for or be a servant to; "May I serve you?"; "She attends the old lady in the wheelchair"; "Can you wait on our table, please?"; "Is a salesperson assisting you?"; "The minister served the King for many years"
- (v): give help or assistance; be of service; "Everyone helped out during the earthquake"; "Can you help me carry this table?"; "She never helps around the house"
Examples of assist
- The facilitator may try to assist the group.
- The pit is heated to assist the fermentation process.
- It will assist the objectivity of the discussion.
- The Mars gravity assist constrain the possible trajectories.
- They assist in the preservation of the biotopes concerned.
- Enzymes assist in the digestion of foods.
- I apreciate the inspiration, encouragement, and the terrific assist.
- The Army was called in to assist in the cleanup.
- They assist each other by encouragement, or friendly reproof.
- The Support Staff assist in the daily administration of the project.