Thesaurus for association
Pronunciation of association: AH0 S OW0 S IY0 EY1 SH AH0 N (ə,soʊsi'eɪʃən)
Number of syllables of association: 5
Pronunciation Video of association
Definition of association
- (n): the act of consorting with or joining with others; "you cannot be convicted of criminal guilt by association"
- (n): the process of bringing ideas or events together in memory or imagination; "conditioning is a form of learning by association"
- (n): (ecology) a group of organisms (plants and animals) that live together in a certain geographical region and constitute a community with a few dominant species
- (n): a formal organization of people or groups of people; "he joined the Modern Language Association"
- (n): (chemistry) any process of combination (especially in solution) that depends on relatively weak chemical bonding
- (n): a relation resulting from interaction or dependence; "flints were found in association with the prehistoric remains of the bear"; "the host is not always injured by association with a parasite"
- (n): a social or business relationship; "a valuable financial affiliation"; "he was sorry he had to sever his ties with other members of the team"; "many close associations with England"
- (n): the state of being connected together as in memory or imagination; "his association of his father with being beaten was too strong to break"
Examples of association
- His clientele include the local milk association.
- The logo is for the OpenSkills association.
- The league association is the association of clubs of the Bundesligas.
- The alumni association of the college is the Anselmian Association.
- It is the international polka association.
- It is standardized by the association.
- The countrywide association became less appealing.
- The polity of the association is hierarchical.
- The Israel Association of Actuaries is the association for actuaries in Israel.
- Association by contiguity is the root of association by similarity.