Thesaurus for assume
Pronunciation of assume: AH0 S UW1 M (ə'sum)
Number of syllables of assume: 2
Pronunciation Video of assume
Definition of assume
- (v): put clothing on one''s body; "What should I wear today?"; "He put on his best suit for the wedding"; "The princess donned a long blue dress"; "The queen assumed the stately robes"; "He got into his jeans"
- (v): take on a certain form, attribute, or aspect; "His voice took on a sad tone"; "The story took a new turn"; "he adopted an air of superiority"; "She assumed strange manners"; "The gods assume human or animal form in these fables"
- (v): take to be the case or to be true; accept without verification or proof; "I assume his train was late"
- (v): Christianity, obsolete; take up someone''s soul into heaven; "This is the day when May was assumed into heaven"
- (v): make a pretence of; "She assumed indifference, even though she was seething with anger"; "he feigned sleep"
- (v): occupy or take on; "He assumes the lotus position"; "She took her seat on the stage"; "We took our seats in the orchestra"; "She took up her position behind the tree"; "strike a pose"
- (v): seize and take control without authority and possibly with force; take as one''s right or possession; "He assumed to himself the right to fill all positions in the town"; "he usurped my rights"; "She seized control of the throne after her husband died"
- (v): take on as one''s own the expenses or debts of another person; "I''ll accept the charges"; "She agreed to bear the responsibility"
- (v): take on titles, offices, duties, responsibilities; "When will the new President assume office?"
Examples of assume
- As such, all manually calculated values assume sphericity.
- I assume you people can triangulate the call.
- I assume the mispelling was purposeful.
- Assume the best, do not insinuate the worst.
- I assume that cheap is a desideratum.
- I assume that faith and science cannot commingle easily.
- Does the lender assume ownership of the property
- NPA, let's assume cordiality will now ensue.
- To assume that most people assume that the UofW is the UofW Madison is inane.
- I assume that the fanciers have strong affection.