Pronunciation of award: AH0 W AO1 R D (ə'wɔrd)
Number of syllables of award: 2
Definition of award
- (n): a grant made by a law court; "he criticized the awarding of compensation by the court"
- (n): a tangible symbol signifying approval or distinction; "an award for bravery"
- (n): something given for victory or superiority in a contest or competition or for winning a lottery; "the prize was a free trip to Europe"
- (v): give, especially as a reward; "bestow honors and prizes at graduation"
- (v): give on the basis of merit; "Funds are granted to qualified researchers"
- (v): bestow an honor upon
Examples of award
- The award was subsumed in 2002 by the Best Female College Athlete ESPY Award.
- The award is undeniably notable.
- The award was bestowed to the man.
- I know it is a semiannual award.
- He got the award in his forties.
- The actor was bestowed the award.
- Give the contributor the misplaced granulatity award.
- The award is now the Competent Communicator award.
- She is murmuring about the award.
- You definitely deserve this award.