Thesaurus for better
Pronunciation of better: B EH1 T ER0 ('bɛtər)
Number of syllables of better: 2
Pronunciation Video of better
Definition of better
- (n): the superior one of two alternatives; "chose the better of the two"
- (n): one having claim to precedence; a superior; "the common man has been kept in his place by his betters"
- (n): someone who bets
- (v): get better; "The weather improved toward evening"
- (v): to make better; "The editor improved the manuscript with his changes"
- (v): surpass in excellence; "She bettered her own record"; "break a record"
- (a): (comparative of `good'') superior to another (of the same class or set or kind) in excellence or quality or desirability or suitability; more highly skilled than another; "You''re a better man than I am, Gunga Din"; "a better coat"; "a better type of car"
- (a): (comparative of `good'') changed for the better in health or fitness; "her health is better now"; "I feel better"
- (s): more than half; "argued for the better part of an hour"
- (r): comparative of `well''; in a better or more excellent manner or more advantageously or attractively or to a greater degree etc.; "She had never sung better"; "a deed better left undone"; "better suited to the job"
- (r): from a position of superiority or authority; "father knows best"; "I know better."