Thesaurus for chance
Pronunciation of chance: CH AE1 N S (tʃæns)
Number of syllables of chance: 1
Pronunciation Video of chance
Definition of chance
- (n): a risk involving danger; "you take a chance when you let her drive"
- (n): a measure of how likely it is that some event will occur; "what is the probability of rain?"; "we have a good chance of winning"
- (n): an unknown and unpredictable phenomenon that causes an event to result one way rather than another; "bad luck caused his downfall"; "we ran into each other by pure chance"
- (n): a possibility due to a favorable combination of circumstances; "the holiday gave us the opportunity to visit Washington"; "now is your chance"
- (v): come upon, as if by accident; meet with; "We find this idea in Plato"; "I happened upon the most wonderful bakery not very far from here"; "She chanced upon an interesting book in the bookstore the other day"
- (v): take a risk in the hope of a favorable outcome; "When you buy these stocks you are gambling"
- (v): be the case by chance; "I chanced to meet my old friend in the street"
Examples of chance
- Any chance of arresting the suspect in Malta was lost.
- Crystal Palace squander chance to go top.
- I in fact gave you the chance to act evenhanded.
- Most puppeteers would kill for the chance of animating muppets.
- I had a chance to see the guinea.
- It reduces the chance of aberrant results.
- I welcomed the chance to revel with famous people.
- Abstinence virtually eliminates the chance.
- Therefore, there is realistically no chance in the universe.
- Spontaneity and chance are causes of effects.