Pronunciation of choke: CH OW1 K (tʃoʊk)
Number of syllables of choke: 1
Definition of choke
- (n): a valve that controls the flow of air into the carburetor of a gasoline engine
- (n): a coil of low resistance and high inductance used in electrical circuits to pass direct current and attenuate alternating current
- (v): breathe with great difficulty, as when experiencing a strong emotion; "She choked with emotion when she spoke about her deceased husband"
- (v): cause to retch or choke
- (v): struggle for breath; have insufficient oxygen intake; "he swallowed a fishbone and gagged"
- (v): constrict (someone''s) throat and keep from breathing
- (v): reduce the air supply; "choke a carburetor"
- (v): die; "The old man finally kicked the bucket"
- (v): suppress the development, creativity, or imagination of; "His job suffocated him"
- (v): become stultified, suppressed, or stifled; "He is suffocating--living at home with his aged parents in the small village"
- (v): impair the respiration of or obstruct the air passage of; "The foul air was slowly suffocating the children"
- (v): become or cause to become obstructed; "The leaves clog our drains in the Fall"; "The water pipe is backed up"
- (v): be too tight; rub or press; "This neckband is choking the cat"
- (v): wring the neck of; "The man choked his opponent"
- (v): check or slow down the action or effect of; "She choked her anger"
- (v): fail to perform adequately due to tension or agitation; "The team should have won hands down but choked, disappointing the coach and the audience"
Examples of choke
- The best known example of this is the rear naked choke.
- Cobb won the fight at the end of the first round via rear naked choke.
- The choke can adjust the flow of gasoline from the carburetor into the engine.
- The choke should be tailored to the range and size of the targets.
- The impurities in the air can cause a bird to choke.
- Underneath the dash on the right side is the choke rod.
- Now try running the bike with the choke on.
- The Undertaker does the triangle choke not the gogoplata.
- Accordingly, the choke gap can be optimized around the periphery of the door.
- They play confidently, hustle, and never choke in the fourth quarter.