Thesaurus for compensate
- related terms
Pronunciation of compensate: K AA1 M P AH0 N S EY0 T ('kɑmpən,seɪt)
Number of syllables of compensate: 3
Pronunciation Video of compensate
Definition of compensate
- (v): make payment to; compensate; "My efforts were not remunerated"
- (v): make amends for; pay compensation for; "One can never fully repair the suffering and losses of the Jews in the Third Reich"; "She was compensated for the loss of her arm in the accident"
- (v): do or give something to somebody in return; "Does she pay you for the work you are doing?"
- (v): make reparations or amends for; "right a wrongs done to the victims of the Holocaust"
- (v): adjust or make up for; "engineers will work to correct the effects or air resistance"
- (v): make up for shortcomings or a feeling of inferiority by exaggerating good qualities; "he is compensating for being a bad father"