Thesaurus for consume
Pronunciation of consume: K AH0 N S UW1 M (kən'sum)
Number of syllables of consume: 2
Pronunciation Video of consume
Definition of consume
- (v): engage fully; "The effort to pass the exam consumed all his energy"
- (v): serve oneself to, or consume regularly; "Have another bowl of chicken soup!"; "I don''t take sugar in my coffee"
- (v): use up (resources or materials); "this car consumes a lot of gas"; "We exhausted our savings"; "They run through 20 bottles of wine a week"
- (v): spend extravagantly; "waste not, want not"
- (v): eat immoderately; "Some people can down a pound of meat in the course of one meal"
- (v): destroy completely; "The fire consumed the building"
Examples of consume
- This pattern causes the repeater to consume the maximum amount of power.
- The flames continue to consume the castle.
- At this time it will suppress, consume, and replace the integument.
- You should not consume sodium much.
- The plasmodium will continue to consume organic matter through phagocytosis.
- The patient can now consume victual.
- Americans consume some 16 billion quarts of popcorn each year.
- At this time, it will suppress, consume, and replace the integument.
- Some people prefer to consume the juice by chewing the cane.
- The automobiles consume gasoline.