Thesaurus for contain
Pronunciation of contain: K AH0 N T EY1 N
Number of syllables of contain: 2
Pronunciation Video of contain
Definition of contain
- (v): hold back, as of a danger or an enemy; check the expansion or influence of; "Arrest the downward trend"; "Check the growth of communism in Sout East Asia"; "Contain the rebel movement"; "Turn back the tide of communism"
- (v): lessen the intensity of; temper; hold in restraint; hold or keep within limits; "moderate your alcohol intake"; "hold your tongue"; "hold your temper"; "control your anger"
- (v): include or contain; have as a component; "A totally new idea is comprised in this paper"; "The record contains many old songs from the 1930''s"
- (v): contain or hold; have within; "The jar carries wine"; "The canteen holds fresh water"; "This can contains water"
- (v): be capable of holding or containing; "This box won''t take all the items"; "The flask holds one gallon"
- (v): be divisible by; "24 contains 6"