Thesaurus for contract
- undertake, sign, sign on, sign up, compress, constrict, squeeze, compact, press, take, get, shrink, condense, concentrate, narrow, abridge, foreshorten, abbreviate, shorten, cut, reduce, alter, assure, change, come down, decrease, diminish, employ, engage, fall, hire, lessen, minify, modify, promise, sicken, tighten
- related terms
Pronunciation of contract: K AA1 N T R AE0 K T
Number of syllables of contract: 2
Pronunciation Video of contract
Definition of contract
- (n): a variety of bridge in which the bidder receives points toward game only for the number of tricks he bid
- (n): a binding agreement between two or more persons that is enforceable by law
- (n): (contract bridge) the highest bid becomes the contract setting the number of tricks that the bidder must make
- (v): be stricken by an illness, fall victim to an illness; "He got AIDS"; "She came down with pneumonia"; "She took a chill"
- (v): become smaller or draw together; "The fabric shrank"; "The balloon shrank"
- (v): reduce in scope while retaining essential elements; "The manuscript must be shortened"
- (v): make or become more narrow or restricted; "The selection was narrowed"; "The road narrowed"
- (v): compress or concentrate; "Congress condensed the three-year plan into a six-month plan"
- (v): enter into a contractual arrangement
- (v): make smaller; "The heat contracted the woollen garment"
- (v): squeeze or press together; "she compressed her lips"; "the spasm contracted the muscle"
- (v): engage by written agreement; "They signed two new pitchers for the next season"
Examples of contract
- The construction work was tendered out as a turnkey contract.
- United States nullifies the contract.
- This is the contract of prohibition.
- When the network failed to work, Blockbuster pulled out of the contract.
- He had to countersign the contract.
- To impugn a contract, means you are attacking the integrity of the contract.
- The contract was neutralized.
- They construed the contract.
- The contract is understandable.
- The court accordingly upheld the contract.