Thesaurus for convert
Pronunciation of convert: K AA1 N V ER0 T
Number of syllables of convert: 2
Pronunciation Video of convert
Definition of convert
- (n): a person who has been converted to another religious or political belief
- (v): change in nature, purpose, or function; especially undergo a chemical change; "The substance converts to an acid"
- (v): change the nature, purpose, or function of something; "convert lead into gold"; "convert hotels into jails"; "convert slaves to laborers"
- (v): exchange or replace with another, usually of the same kind or category; "Could you convert my dollars into pounds?"; "He changed his name"; "convert centimeters into inches"; "convert holdings into shares"
- (v): exchange a penalty for a less severe one
- (v): change from one system to another or to a new plan or policy; "We converted from 220 to 110 Volt"
- (v): change religious beliefs, or adopt a religious belief; "She converted to Buddhism"
- (v): cause to adopt a new or different faith; "The missionaries converted the Indian population"
- (v): make (someone) agree, understand, or realize the truth or validity of something; "He had finally convinced several customers of the advantages of his product"
- (v): score (a spare)
- (v): complete successfully; "score a penalty shot or free throw"
- (v): score an extra point or points after touchdown by kicking the ball through the uprights or advancing the ball into the endzone; "Smith converted and his team won"
Examples of convert
- At the age of 14 he was advised to convert to the organ.
- Nanoantennas use the infrared radiation of the sun to convert energy.
- Traditionally, Cornelius the Centurion is considered the first gentile convert.
- She made several ineffectual attempts to convert the King.
- The officials ended the game without the final convert.
- I want the world to convert urgently.
- His task is to purify and convert the denizens to Christianity.
- In the future, the software may convert the quotes automatically.
- Phytoplankton use photosynthesis to convert inorganic carbon into protoplasm.
- The Arabs wanted the Egyptians to convert to the Muslim faith.