Pronunciation of crack: K R AE1 K (kræk)
Number of syllables of crack: 1
Definition of crack
- (n): the act of cracking something
- (n): a usually brief attempt; "he took a crack at it"; "I gave it a whirl"
- (n): a purified and potent form of cocaine that is smoked rather than snorted
- (n): a narrow opening; "he opened the window a crack"
- (n): a blemish resulting from a break without complete separation of the parts; "there was a crack in the mirror"
- (n): witty remark
- (n): a sudden sharp noise; "the crack of a whip"; "he heard the cracking of the ice"; "he can hear the snap of a twig"
- (n): a long narrow opening
- (n): a long narrow depression in a surface
- (n): a chance to do something; "he wanted a shot at the champion"
- (v): break into simpler molecules by means of heat; "The petroleum cracked"
- (v): reduce (petroleum) to a simpler compound by cracking
- (v): become fractured; break or crack on the surface only; "The glass cracked when it was heated"
- (v): cause to become cracked; "heat and light cracked the back of the leather chair"
- (v): break suddenly and abruptly, as under tension; "The rope snapped"
- (v): break partially but keep its integrity; "The glass cracked"
- (v): pass through (a barrier); "Registrations cracked through the 30,000 mark in the county"
- (v): tell spontaneously; "crack a joke"
- (v): hit forcefully; deal a hard blow, making a cracking noise; "The teacher cracked him across the face with a ruler"
- (v): suffer a nervous breakdown
- (v): make a sharp sound; "his fingers snapped"
- (v): make a very sharp explosive sound; "His gun cracked"
- (s): of the highest quality; "an ace reporter"; "a crack shot"; "a first-rate golfer"; "a super party"; "played top-notch tennis"; "an athlete in tiptop condition"; "she is absolutely tops"
Examples of crack
- Asphalt aggregate roads crack when subjected to freezing and thawing cycles.
- The first to crack the watermelon open wins.
- He demands that Wotan fill the crack by yielding the ring.
- This work was skillfully executed, and has successfully stabilized the crack.
- The crack is analogous to opening the box.
- These ciphers, though breakable, were by no means easy to crack.
- I'll take a crack at it and we can reconnoiter.
- I listen to the music stylings of Leftover Crack and Choking Victim.
- The orangutan falls down a crack in the ground and dies.
- He opened the door a hair and peeked through the crack.