Thesaurus for defence
- defense mechanism, defense reaction, defence mechanism, defence reaction, defense, defending team, defense team, defense lawyers, defense force, defence force, refutation, vindication, defensive structure, denial, demurrer, defensive measure, accumulation, action, aggregation, answer, assemblage, collection, construction, due process, due process of law, justification, military action, organisation, organization, process, protection, psychoanalytic process, squad, structure, team, unconscious process
Pronunciation of defence: D IH0 F EH1 N S (dɪ'fɛns)
Number of syllables of defence: 2
Pronunciation Video of defence
Definition of defence
- (n): protection from harm; "sanitation is the best defense against disease"
- (n): military action or resources protecting a country against potential enemies; "they died in the defense of Stalingrad"; "they were developed for the defense program"
- (n): a defendant''s answer or plea denying the truth of the charges against him; "he gave evidence for the defense"
- (n): a structure used for defense; "the artillery battered down the defenses"
- (n): the justification for some act or belief; "he offered a persuasive defense of the theory"
- (n): the speech act of answering an attack on your assertions; "his refutation of the charges was short and persuasive"; "in defense he said the other man started it"
- (n): an organization of defenders that provides resistance against attack; "he joined the defense against invasion"
- (n): the defendant and his legal advisors collectively; "the defense called for a mistrial"
- (n): (sports) the team that is trying to prevent the other team from scoring; "his teams are always good on defense"
- (n): (psychiatry) an unconscious process that tries to reduce the anxiety associated with instinctive desires
Examples of defence
- The Defence Minister is the head of the Ministry of Defence.
- The court ruled in favour of the defence.
- It's the classic, the dog ate my homework defence.
- Cortisol excretion during the defence reaction in humans.
- The defence requested to suspend the trial.
- The battalion notably fought in the defence of Madrid.
- The defence of the case was successful.
- He also christened the defence as the St.George.
- Their defence, however, though desperate, was unavailing.
- The barracks burned and the Nationalist defence crumbled.