Thesaurus for defend
Pronunciation of defend: D IH0 F EH1 N D (dɪ'fɛnd)
Number of syllables of defend: 2
Pronunciation Video of defend
Definition of defend
- (v): argue or speak in defense of; "She supported the motion to strike"
- (v): state or assert; "He maintained his innocence"
- (v): fight against or resist strongly; "The senator said he would oppose the bill"; "Don''t fight it!"
- (v): be on the defensive; act against an attack
- (v): protect against a challenge or attack; "Hold that position behind the trees!"; "Hold the bridge against the enemy''s attacks"
- (v): protect or fight for as a champion
- (v): be the defense counsel for someone in a trial; "Ms. Smith will represent the defendant"
Examples of defend
- He is trying to use rationalization to defend himself.
- He is apparrently trying to defend the other miscreant.
- Defend the use of the image without disrupting the page.
- They solve crimes, and defend the indigent.
- You were trying to defend the indefensible.
- Mommy gets the kitchen knife to defend herself.
- I don't defend the appropriateness of the article.
- You have the entire rest of the aritcle to defend recycling.
- You childishly defend the indefensible.
- Drori ordered them to defend the Masada crossroad.