Thesaurus for defend
Definition of defend
- (v): argue or speak in defense of; "She supported the motion to strike"
- (v): state or assert; "He maintained his innocence"
- (v): fight against or resist strongly; "The senator said he would oppose the bill"; "Don''t fight it!"
- (v): be on the defensive; act against an attack
- (v): protect against a challenge or attack; "Hold that position behind the trees!"; "Hold the bridge against the enemy''s attacks"
- (v): protect or fight for as a champion
- (v): be the defense counsel for someone in a trial; "Ms. Smith will represent the defendant"