Thesaurus for delay
Definition of delay
- (n): the act of delaying; inactivity resulting in something being put off until a later time
- (n): time during which some action is awaited; "instant replay caused too long a delay"; "he ordered a hold in the action"
- (v): slow the growth or development of; "The brain damage will retard the child''s language development"
- (v): cause to be slowed down or delayed; "Traffic was delayed by the bad weather"; "she delayed the work that she didn''t want to perform"
- (v): stop or halt; "Please stay the bloodshed!"
- (v): act later than planned, scheduled, or required; "Don''t delay your application to graduate school or else it won''t be considered"