Pronunciation of descent: D IH0 S EH1 N T (dɪ'sɛnt)
Number of syllables of descent: 2
Definition of descent
- (n): the act of changing your location in a downward direction
- (n): properties attributable to your ancestry; "he comes from good origins"
- (n): a movement downward
- (n): the descendants of one individual; "his entire lineage has been warriors"
- (n): a downward slope or bend
- (n): the kinship relation between an individual and the individual''s progenitors
Examples of descent
- Your reference to poetry made my descent into doggerel inevitable.
- The descent from the Kings of Scotland.
- Her name reflects her descent from the triumvir.
- Attaching the parachute to the bottom films the parachute during descent.
- The slower descent also results in the ball bouncing lower.
- She is of Croatian descent and speaks the language fluently.
- After Menelik, all monarchs were of distaff descent from Solomonics.
- The descent towards the center is the flow of time.
- The population of the town is largely of German descent.
- Each ascent and descent increases the risk of decompression sickness.