Thesaurus for descent
- origin, extraction, line of descent, lineage, filiation, declivity, fall, decline, declination, declension, downslope, line, bloodline, blood line, blood, pedigree, ancestry, parentage, stemma, stock, change of location, derivation, family relationship, family tree, genealogy, incline, kinship, motion, move, movement, relationship, side, slope, travel
Pronunciation of descent: D IH0 S EH1 N T (dɪ'sɛnt)
Number of syllables of descent: 2
Pronunciation Video of descent
Definition of descent
- (n): the act of changing your location in a downward direction
- (n): properties attributable to your ancestry; "he comes from good origins"
- (n): a movement downward
- (n): the descendants of one individual; "his entire lineage has been warriors"
- (n): a downward slope or bend
- (n): the kinship relation between an individual and the individual''s progenitors
Examples of descent
- After Menelik, all monarchs were of distaff descent from Solomonics.
- Her name reflects her descent from the triumvir.
- Your reference to poetry made my descent into doggerel inevitable.
- The descent from the Kings of Scotland.
- The population of the town is largely of German descent.
- The descent towards the center is the flow of time.
- She is of Croatian descent and speaks the language fluently.
- Attaching the parachute to the bottom films the parachute during descent.
- The slower descent also results in the ball bouncing lower.
- Each ascent and descent increases the risk of decompression sickness.