Thesaurus for determine
Pronunciation of determine: D AH0 T ER1 M AH0 N (dɪ'tɜrmɪn)
Number of syllables of determine: 3
Pronunciation Video of determine
Definition of determine
- (v): reach, make, or come to a decision about something; "We finally decided after lengthy deliberations"
- (v): fix conclusively or authoritatively; "set the rules"
- (v): fix in scope; fix the boundaries of; the tree determines the border of the property
- (v): shape or influence; give direction to; "experience often determines ability"; "mold public opinion"
- (v): settle conclusively; come to terms; "We finally settled the argument"
- (v): after a calculation, investigation, experiment, survey, or study; "find the product of two numbers"; "The physicist who found the elusive particle won the Nobel Prize"
- (v): find out, learn, or determine with certainty, usually by making an inquiry or other effort; "I want to see whether she speaks French"; "See whether it works"; "find out if he speaks Russian"; "Check whether the train leaves on time"
- (v): decide upon or fix definitely; "fix the variables"; "specify the parameters"
Examples of determine
- Determine the extent of turnover within the projectstaff.
- They did not determine it to be inauthentic.
- They agree to determine the site through augury.
- Joseph's decision to prepay her student loan should be based on factors that determine the best use of her income.
- How do you determine the divisor and the dividand
- The diagonals determine the vertex type.
- The two decide to cooperate to determine the truth.
- Nutritive density of meals helps determine gastric emptying time.
- The results will determine acceptance of the system.
- Screening can determine the sex of the fetus.