Thesaurus for draw
- pull, draw, force, reap, trace, line, describe, delineate, make, pull out, get out, take out, depict, puff, drag, withdraw, draw off, cast, get, quarter, draw and quarter, absorb, suck, imbibe, soak up, sop up, suck up, take in, take up, attract, pull in, draw in, string, thread, pull back, guide, run, pass, tie, disembowel, eviscerate, alter, arouse, arrange, ask, be, breathe in, call for, change, change form, change shape, choose, close, compose, create, create by mental act, create mentally, deform, demand, derive, displace, effect, effectuate, elicit, enkindle, equal, equalise, equalize, equate, evoke, exposit, expound, fire, form, gain, go, indite, infuse, inhale, inspire, interpret, involve, kill, kindle, localise, localize, locomote, mark, match, modify, move, necessitate, need, pen, pick out, postulate, provoke, raise, remove, represent, require, select, set forth, set up, shape, shut, steep, stretch, take, take away, thin, travel, write
- related terms
Pronunciation of draw: D R AO1 (drɔ)
Number of syllables of draw: 1
Definition of draw
- (n): the act of drawing or hauling something; "the haul up the hill went very slowly"
- (n): poker in which a player can discard cards and receive substitutes from the dealer; "he played only draw and stud"
- (n): (American football) the quarterback moves back as if to pass and then hands the ball to the fullback who is running toward the line of scrimmage
- (n): a golf shot that curves to the left for a right-handed golfer; "he tooks lessons to cure his hooking"
- (n): a playing card or cards dealt or taken from the pack; "he got a pair of kings in the draw"
- (n): anything (straws or pebbles etc.) taken or chosen at random; "the luck of the draw"; "they drew lots for it"
- (n): the finish of a contest in which the score is tied and the winner is undecided; "the game ended in a draw"; "their record was 3 wins, 6 losses and a tie"
- (n): a gully that is shallower than a ravine
- (n): an entertainer who attracts large audiences; "he was the biggest drawing card they had"
- (v): cause to localize at one point; "Draw blood and pus"
- (v): flatten, stretch, or mold metal or glass, by rolling or by pulling it through a die or by stretching; "draw steel"
- (v): remove the entrails of; "draw a chicken"
- (v): steep; pass through a strainer; "draw pulp from the fruit"
- (v): reduce the diameter of (a wire or metal rod) by pulling it through a die; "draw wire"
- (v): contract; "The material drew after it was washed in hot water"
- (v): bring or lead someone to a certain action or condition; "She was drawn to despair"; "The President refused to be drawn into delivering an ultimatum"; "The session was drawn to a close"
- (v): select or take in from a given group or region; "The participants in the experiment were drawn from a representative population"
- (v): make, formulate, or derive in the mind; "I draw a line here"; "draw a conclusion"; "draw parallels"; "make an estimate"; "What do you make of his remarks?"
- (v): give a description of; "He drew an elaborate plan of attack"
- (v): choose at random; "draw a card"; "cast lots"
- (v): finish a game with an equal number of points, goals, etc.; "The teams drew a tie"
- (v): suck in or take (air); "draw a deep breath"; "draw on a cigarette"
- (v): guide or pass over something; "He ran his eyes over her body"; "She ran her fingers along the carved figurine"; "He drew her hair through his fingers"
- (v): move or pull so as to cover or uncover something; "draw the shades"; "draw the curtains"
- (v): pull back the sling of (a bow); "The archers were drawing their bows"
- (v): thread on or as if on a string; "string pearls on a string"; "the child drew glass beads on a string"; "thread dried cranberries"
- (v): cause to move along the ground by pulling; "draw a wagon"; "pull a sled"
- (v): direct toward itself or oneself by means of some psychological power or physical attributes; "Her good looks attract the stares of many men"; "The ad pulled in many potential customers"; "This pianist pulls huge crowds"; "The store owner was happy that th
- (v): take in, also metaphorically; "The sponge absorbs water well"; "She drew strength from the minister''s words"
- (v): make a mark or lines on a surface; "draw a line"; "trace the outline of a figure in the sand"
- (v): in baseball: earn or achieve a base by being walked by the pitcher; "He drew a base on balls"
- (v): engage in drawing; "He spent the day drawing in the garden"
- (v): represent by making a drawing of, as with a pencil, chalk, etc. on a surface; "She drew an elephant"; "Draw me a horse"
- (v): write a legal document or paper; "The deed was drawn in the lawyer''s office"
- (v): elicit responses, such as objections, criticism, applause, etc.; "The President''s comments drew sharp criticism from the Republicans"; "The comedian drew a lot of laughter"
- (v): take liquid out of a container or well; "She drew water from the barrel"
- (v): bring, take, or pull out of a container or from under a cover; "draw a weapon"; "pull out a gun"; "The mugger pulled a knife on his victim"
- (v): move or go steadily or gradually; "The ship drew near the shore"
- (v): cause to flow; "The nurse drew blood"
- (v): get or derive; "He drew great benefits from his membership in the association"
- (v): remove (a commodity) from (a supply source); "She drew $2,000 from the account"; "The doctors drew medical supplies from the hospital''s emergency bank"
- (v): pull (a person) apart with four horses tied to his extremities, so as to execute him; "in the old days, people were drawn and quartered for certain crimes"
- (v): require a specified depth for floating; "This boat draws 70 inches"
- (v): allow a draft; "This chimney draws very well"
Examples of draw
- The teacher told children to draw a snowflake.
- I draw them freehand with the paintbrush tool.
- I can draw a pentagon.
- Can somebody discuss the seedings for the draw
- I can draw a nonagon.
- I used colored pencils to draw it.
- Betty uses pen and ink to draw a machine.
- Draw the rectangle inside the triangle.
- I should draw the hexad.
- Ace is the lowest card in the draw.