Thesaurus for eliminate
- extinguish, get rid of, do away with, obviate, rid of, annihilate, eradicate, wipe out, decimate, carry off, rule out, winnow out, reject, excrete, egest, pass, beat, beat out, crush, destroy, destruct, discharge, eject, expel, kill, release, remove, shell, take, take away, trounce, vanquish, withdraw
Pronunciation of eliminate: IH0 L IH1 M AH0 N EY0 T (ɪ'lɪmə,neɪt)
Number of syllables of eliminate: 4
Pronunciation Video of eliminate
Definition of eliminate
- (v): eliminate from the body; "Pass a kidney stone"
- (v): kill in large numbers; "the plague wiped out an entire population"
- (v): terminate or take out; "Let''s eliminate the course on Akkadian hieroglyphics"
- (v): remove (an unknown variable) from two or more equations
- (v): dismiss from consideration; "John was ruled out as a possible suspect because he had a strong alibi"; "This possibility can be eliminated from our consideration"
- (v): remove from a contest or race; "The cyclist has eliminated all the competitors in the race"
- (v): do away with
Examples of eliminate
- Why do you use this process to eliminate the innocuous
- Hygienic disposal of waste would be sufficient to eliminate the disease.
- Eliminate the requirement, and the problems vanish.
- I suggest reworking the article to eliminate the extraneous stuff.
- In short, he wants to eliminate all of the selfishness.
- Why use this process to eliminate the innocuous
- The aim of the was to eliminate the Jewish race.
- Taking the upscale off the article would eliminate the POV.
- The men wanted to eliminate the exotoxin.
- Efforts to eliminate the penny in the United States.