Thesaurus for emit
Pronunciation of emit: IH0 M IH1 T (ɪ'mɪt)
Number of syllables of emit: 2
Pronunciation Video of emit
Definition of emit
- (v): expel (gases or odors)
- (v): express audibly; utter sounds (not necessarily words); "She let out a big heavy sigh"; "He uttered strange sounds that nobody could understand"
- (v): give off, send forth, or discharge; as of light, heat, or radiation, vapor, etc.; "The ozone layer blocks some harmful rays which the sun emits"
Examples of emit
- The weed itself seems able to emit noxious gas and is clearly alive.
- The iodine atoms then emit the laser radiation itself.
- The light source is selected to emit monochromatic light.
- Sows will emit crooning sounds to their cubs.
- Vehicles emit gas and fumes that are harmful.
- Sometimes, it can emit mournful sounds during the day.
- The eyes of some of the figures emit gleans of white shining light.
- Certain woman emit a pleasant musky odor and others do not.
- The regions within both main ovals emit most of auroral X rays.
- In the event of a fire, the device may emit dense irritating smoke.