Thesaurus for employ
Pronunciation of employ: EH0 M P L OY1 (ɛm'plɔɪ)
Number of syllables of employ: 2
Pronunciation Video of employ
Definition of employ
- (n): the state of being employed or having a job; "they are looking for employment"; "he was in the employ of the city"
- (v): put into service; make work or employ (something) for a particular purpose or for its inherent or natural purpose; "use your head!"; "we only use Spanish at home"; "I can''t make use of this tool"; "Apply a magnetic field here"; "This thinking was applied
- (v): engage or hire for work; "They hired two new secretaries in the department"; "How many people has she employed?"
Examples of employ
- The ceramic units employ several thousand unskilled workers in the region.
- Please edify me about the rationale which you employ.
- He came to the employ of the Spanish Viceroy of Naples.
- Overlord later came under the employ of the Jugglers.
- The virus was one of the first to employ stealth tactics.
- Cutbush was the first American to employ lemon juice to prevent scurvy.
- The lab staff wanted to employ new workers.
- The boss of the company wanted to employ an allegiant worker candidate.
- The clerics definitely are in the employ of the state.
- The devil is in the details, to employ an idiom.