Thesaurus for engage
Pronunciation of engage: EH0 N G EY1 JH (ɛn'ɡeɪdʒ)
Number of syllables of engage: 2
Pronunciation Video of engage
Definition of engage
- (v): get caught; "make sure the gear is engaged"
- (v): engage or engross wholly; "Her interest in butterflies absorbs her completely"
- (v): give to in marriage
- (v): keep engaged; "engaged the gears"
- (v): engage for service under a term of contract; "We took an apartment on a quiet street"; "Let''s rent a car"; "Shall we take a guide in Rome?"
- (v): as of aid, help, services, or support
- (v): carry out or participate in an activity; be involved in; "She pursued many activities"; "They engaged in a discussion"
- (v): as of wars, battles, or campaigns; "Napoleon and Hitler waged war against all of Europe"
- (v): ask to represent; of legal counsel; "I''m retaining a lawyer"
- (v): engage or hire for work; "They hired two new secretaries in the department"; "How many people has she employed?"
Examples of engage
- The flanges engage the exterior surface of the panel.
- But the Poles refused to engage in any parleys.
- Jockey wheels engage the top tube of the track.
- Does it engage to extrovert action to save the world
- Compensating electrical means engage the terminals of the batteries tested.
- The two engage in mutual seduction.
- At least I don't engage in namecalling and disparagement.
- He came to Manila to engage in the galleon trade.
- Beaucaire and Lady Carlisle engage in amorous conversation.
- Engage in the discussion and address the arguments.