Thesaurus for event
Pronunciation of event: IH0 V EH1 N T (ɪ'vɛnt)
Number of syllables of event: 2
Pronunciation Video of event
Definition of event
- (n): something that happens at a given place and time
- (n): a phenomenon that follows and is caused by some previous phenomenon; "the magnetic effect was greater when the rod was lengthwise"; "his decision had depressing consequences for business"; "he acted very wise after the event"
- (n): a phenomenon located at a single point in space-time; the fundamental observational entity in relativity theory
- (n): a special set of circumstances; "in that event, the first possibility is excluded"; "it may rain in which case the picnic will be canceled"
Examples of event
- In this case the information on the event could be given in Joe the Plumber.
- The event antedated the cause.
- The solution is to assign the mitigation plan to an event or event chain.
- The people devised the event.
- The organization abrogated the event.
- The guest hosts at the event are the players competing in the event.
- The event is bicentennial one.
- However, the act of observing this event determines the outcome of the event.
- That event forebodes the collapse.
- The event has since grown rapidly, becoming a popular semiannual event.