Thesaurus for exchange
Pronunciation of exchange: IH0 K S CH EY1 N JH (ɪks'ʧeɪndʒ)
Number of syllables of exchange: 2
Pronunciation Video of exchange
Definition of exchange
- (n): (chess) the capture by both players (usually on consecutive moves) of pieces of equal value; "the endgame began after the exchange of queens"
- (n): (chess) gaining (or losing) a rook in return for a knight or bishop; "black lost the exchange"
- (n): the act of putting one thing or person in the place of another: "he sent Smith in for Jones but the substitution came too late to help"
- (n): reciprocal transfer of equivalent sums of money especially the currencies of different countries; "he earns his living from the interchange of currency"
- (n): the act of giving something in return for something received; "deductible losses on sales or exchanges of property are allowable"
- (n): the act of changing one thing for another thing; "Adam was promised immortality in exchange for his disobedience"; "there was an exchange of prisoners"
- (n): (sports) an unbroken sequence of several successive strokes; "after a short rally Connors won the point"
- (n): a workplace that serves as a telecommunications facility where lines from telephones can be connected together to permit communication
- (n): a workplace for buying and selling; open only to members
- (n): a mutual expression of views (especially an unpleasant one); "they had a bitter exchange"
- (n): chemical process in which one atom or ion or group changes places with another
- (v): change over, change around, or switch over
- (v): exchange or replace with another, usually of the same kind or category; "Could you convert my dollars into pounds?"; "He changed his name"; "convert centimeters into inches"; "convert holdings into shares"
- (v): exchange a penalty for a less severe one
- (v): give to, and receive from, one another; "Would you change places with me?"; "We have been exchanging letters for a year"
- (v): hand over one and receive another, approximately equivalent; "exchange prisoners"; "exchange employees between branches of the company"
Examples of exchange
- Thanks for the exchange of ideas and the discussion
- Mary, in exchange for the promised VCR, turns over the money to John.
- The primary means of exchange is barter.
- In exchange, the Parlement recovered its right of remonstrance.
- The exchange banned him from re entering the stock brokerage business.
- Thanks for the courteous exchange.
- That exchange relations cannot survive without political superintendence.
- In 1980 the Exchange computerized its offices.
- Rose and Susan exchange keepsakes.
- DC Council reshuffle could stymie insurance exchange progress.