Pronunciation of formation: F AO0 R M EY1 SH AH0 N (fɔr'meɪʃən)
Number of syllables of formation: 3
Definition of formation
- (n): the act of forming something; "the constitution of a PTA group last year"; "it was the establishment of his reputation"; "he still remembers the organization of the club"
- (n): the fabrication of something in a particular shape
- (n): creation by mental activity; "the formation of sentences"; "the formation of memories"
- (n): a particular spatial arrangement
- (n): an arrangement of people or things acting as a unit; "a defensive formation"; "a formation of planes"
- (n): (geology) the geological features of the earth
- (n): natural process that causes something to form; "the formation of gas in the intestine"; "the formation of crystals"; "the formation of pseudopods"
Examples of formation
- The formation of nerve sheaths is crucial for the formation of neurons.
- This became the catalyst of the formation.
- The priestly formation is holistic.
- The formation of the vortex is complex.
- The enemy formation wavered and broke.
- The shape of a natural snowflake reflects the history of its formation.
- Precipitate formation is useful in the detection of the type of cation in salt.
- The extent of adhesion formation is critical.
- A jaw abnormality is disorder in the formation or shape of the jaw.
- He filmed the formation of the interim government.