Thesaurus for fortune
Pronunciation of fortune: F AO1 R CH AH0 N ('fɔrʧən)
Number of syllables of fortune: 2
Pronunciation Video of fortune
Definition of fortune
- (n): an unknown and unpredictable phenomenon that causes an event to result one way rather than another; "bad luck caused his downfall"; "we ran into each other by pure chance"
- (n): an unknown and unpredictable phenomenon that leads to a favorable outcome; "it was my good luck to be there"; "they say luck is a lady"; "it was as if fortune guided his hand"
- (n): a large amount of wealth or prosperity
- (n): your overall circumstances or condition in life (including everything that happens to you); "whatever my fortune may be"; "deserved a better fate"; "has a happy lot"; "the luck of the Irish"; "a victim of circumstances"; "success that was her portion"
Examples of fortune
- Her business was minus to her fortune.
- Kenneth Hale was a happy go lucky soldier of fortune.
- He waived the fortune from his dad.
- His spendthrift habits dissipated the family fortune.
- He had amassed a great fortune.
- It is reputedly the birthplace of the fortune cookie.
- Currently the Crocker Fortune is unclaimed.
- People used to consider surrey as their fortune.
- The pebbles are called the fortune stone.
- The prince inherited the fortune.