Thesaurus for founder
Pronunciation of founder: F AW1 N D ER0 ('faʊndər)
Number of syllables of founder: 2
Pronunciation Video of founder
Definition of founder
- (n): a person who founds or establishes some institution; "George Washington is the father of his country"
- (n): a worker who makes metal castings
- (n): inflammation of the laminated tissue that attaches the hoof to the foot of a horse
- (v): stumble and nearly fall; "the horses foundered"
- (v): break down, literally or metaphorically; "The wall collapsed"; "The business collapsed"; "The dam broke"; "The roof collapsed"; "The wall gave in"; "The roof finally gave under the weight of the ice"
- (v): sink below the surface
- (v): fail utterly; collapse; "The project foundered"
Examples of founder
- He is the founder of the project and is a good leader and quite the worker.
- In 2008, he married Sara Blakely, the founder of Spanx undergarment company.
- Miriam Kennet is an economist and founder of the company.
- He was the founder of the Pontifical College.
- He was the founder of the zoological museum.
- Shira is the Step sister of Dov Charney founder and owner of American Apparel.
- Aristotle is considered the founder of meteorology.
- Aiken became the founder of the Science totem.
- He was the founder of the Standard Candy Company and the Goo Goo Cluster.
- The monument was built for the founder.