Thesaurus for fund
Pronunciation of fund: F AH1 N D (fənd)
Number of syllables of fund: 1
Pronunciation Video of fund
Definition of fund
- (n): a financial institution that sells shares to individuals and invests in securities issued by other companies
- (n): a reserve of money set aside for some purpose
- (n): a supply of something available for future use; "he brought back a large store of Cuban cigars"
- (v): furnish money for; "The government funds basic research in many areas"
- (v): accumulate a fund for the discharge of a recurrent liability; "fund a medical care plan"
- (v): invest money in government securities
- (v): provide a fund for the redemption of principal or payment of interest
- (v): place or store up in a fund for accumulation
- (v): convert (short-term floating debt) into long-term debt that bears fixed interest and is represented by bonds
Examples of fund
- They borrowed to fund future business expansion.
- The fund then invests the money in stamps.
- Mutual fund analysis is rather more remunerative.
- Fund raising started with great gusto.
- The game's proceeds benefit the pension fund of the players.
- This is the sole shareholder of the fund.
- Handel contributed generously to the fund.
- The unmistakable message is that investment in the meretricious hedge fund industry is best left to hedge fund managers themselves.
- This is an eleemosynary fund.
- The fund is replenished when the customer pays the bill to the fund.