Thesaurus for grapple
Pronunciation of grapple: G R AE1 P AH0 L ('græpəl)
Number of syllables of grapple: 2
Pronunciation Video of grapple
Definition of grapple
- (n): the act of engaging in close hand-to-hand combat; "they had a fierce wrestle"; "we watched his grappling and wrestling with the bully"
- (n): a dredging bucket with hinges like the shell of a clam
- (n): a tool consisting of several hooks for grasping and holding; often thrown with a rope
- (v): to grip or seize, as in a wrestling match; "the two men grappled with each other for several minutes"
- (v): come to terms or deal successfully with; "We got by on just a gallon of gas"; "They made do on half a loaf of bread every day"
Examples of grapple
- Look up and to the left, then grapple onto one of the red targets.
- The challenge of antitrust law is to grapple with such questions.
- The linkage housing connects to the grapple tooth frame via the pivot tube.
- The men fight and grapple for the gun.
- Britain became a true thermonuclear power with the detonation of Grapple X.
- The trap is escaped by swinging on a grapple of dental floss.
- In normal operation of the grapple, the cables are left slack.
- By reforming the tower, he manages to grapple onto the edge of the container.
- The game's grapple system was unique at the time of the game's release.
- To open and close the tongs of the grapple, two cables are used.