Thesaurus for grip
- clasp, clench, clutch, clutches, grasp, hold, handle, handgrip, bag, traveling bag, suitcase, traction, adhesive friction, bobby pin, hairgrip, appendage, baggage, friction, grasping, hairpin, influence, luggage, prehension, rubbing, seizing, skilled worker, skilled workman, taking hold, trained worker
Pronunciation of grip: G R IH1 P
Number of syllables of grip: 1
Pronunciation Video of grip
Definition of grip
- (n): the act of grasping; "he released his clasp on my arm"; "he has a strong grip for an old man"; "she kept a firm hold on the railing"
- (n): a portable rectangular traveling bag for carrying clothes; "he carried his small bag onto the plane with him"
- (n): a flat wire hairpin whose prongs press tightly together; used to hold bobbed hair in place; "in England they call a bobby pin a grip"
- (n): the appendage to an object that is designed to be held in order to use or move it; "he grabbed the hammer by the handle"; "it was an old briefcase but it still had a good grip"
- (n): a firm controlling influence; "they kept a firm grip on the two top priorities"; "he was in the grip of a powerful emotion"; "a terrible power had her in its grasp"
- (n): worker who moves the camera around while a film or television show is being made
- (n): the friction between a body and the surface on which it moves (as between an automobile tire and the road)
- (v): hold fast or firmly; "He gripped the steering wheel"
- (v): to grip or seize, as in a wrestling match; "the two men grappled with each other for several minutes"
- (v): to render motionless, as with a fixed stare or by arousing terror or awe; "The snake charmer fascinates the cobra"
Examples of grip
- In the clamping position, the gauge of the grip is not increased.
- The grip is the handle of the sword.
- The ergonomic grip features an adjustable handrest.
- All are held in the grip of miserable superstition.
- He used the somewhat unusual, at the time, interlocking grip to hold the club.
- A pistol grip was grafted onto the stock of the rifle.
- An ambidextrous manual safety is conveniently located above the pistol grip.
- The bands are adapted to grip the user's fingertip.
- Click the grip to collapse the bar.
- The magazine catch is located at the bottom of the grip.