Thesaurus for halt
Pronunciation of halt: HH AO1 L T
Number of syllables of halt: 1
Pronunciation Video of halt
Definition of halt
- (n): an interruption or temporary suspension of progress or movement; "a halt in the arms race"; "a nuclear freeze"
- (n): the event of something ending; "it came to a stop at the bottom of the hill"
- (n): the state of inactivity following an interruption; "the negotiations were in arrest"; "held them in check"; "during the halt he got some lunch"; "the momentary stay enabled him to escape the blow"; "he spent the entire stop in his seat"
- (v): stop the flow of a liquid; "staunch the blood flow"; "them the tide"
- (v): cause to stop; "Halt the engines"; "Arrest the progress"; "halt the presses"
- (v): come to a halt, stop moving; "the car stopped"; "She stopped in front of a store window"
- (v): stop from happening or developing; "Block his election"; "Halt the process"
- (s): disabled in the feet or legs; "a crippled soldier"; "a game leg"