Thesaurus for hand
- manus, mitt, paw, hired hand, hired man, handwriting, script, deal, bridge player, helping hand, ability, accumulation, aggregation, aid, applause, assemblage, assist, assistance, card player, clapping, collection, crewman, extremity, forepaw, hand clapping, handbreadth, handsbreadth, help, jack, laborer, labourer, manual laborer, pointer, power, sailor, side, writing
Pronunciation of hand: HH AE1 N D (hænd)
Number of syllables of hand: 1
Pronunciation Video of hand
Definition of hand
- (n): physical assistance; "give me a hand with the chores"
- (n): terminal part of the forelimb in certain vertebrates (e.g. apes or kangaroos); "the kangaroo''s forearms seem undeveloped but the powerful five-fingered hands are skilled at feinting and clouting"- Springfield (Mass.) Union
- (n): a rotating pointer on the face of a timepiece; "the big hand counts the minutes"
- (n): the (prehensile) extremity of the superior limb; "he had the hands of a surgeon"; "he extended his mitt"
- (n): ability; "he wanted to try his hand at singing"
- (n): one of two sides of an issue; "on the one hand..., but on the other hand..."
- (n): something written by hand; "she recognized his handwriting"; "his hand was illegible"
- (n): a round of applause to signify approval; "give the little lady a great big hand"
- (n): the cards held in a card game by a given player at any given time; "I didn''t hold a good hand all evening"; "he kept trying to see my hand"
- (n): a position given by its location to the side of an object; "objections were voiced on every hand"
- (n): a card player in a game of bridge; "we need a 4th hand for bridge"
- (n): a member of the crew of a ship; "all hands on deck"
- (n): a hired laborer on a farm or ranch; "the hired hand fixed the railing"; "a ranch hand"
- (n): a unit of length equal to 4 inches; used in measuring horses; "the horse stood 20 hands"
- (v): guide or conduct or usher somewhere; "hand the elderly lady into the taxi"
- (v): place into the hands or custody of; "hand me the spoon, please"; "Turn the files over to me, please"; "He turned over the prisoner to his lawyers"
Examples of hand
- The bridegroom shall place his right hand upon the right shoulder of the bride.
- He was suffering an affliction of the right hand.
- The man held the dagger in his left hand.
- Banjo players often also use the left hand, the fingering hand, to pick.
- The back of the left hand and the left arm were swollen and purplish.
- The right hand is holding the grip and the left rests on the sheath.
- The left hand is considered unclean in India.
- The knife is held in the right hand and the fork in the left.
- The left hand is considered unclean.
- Couldn't the chip be implanted in the left hand