Pronunciation of hand: HH AE1 N D (hænd)
Number of syllables of hand: 1
Definition of hand
- (n): physical assistance; "give me a hand with the chores"
- (n): terminal part of the forelimb in certain vertebrates (e.g. apes or kangaroos); "the kangaroo''s forearms seem undeveloped but the powerful five-fingered hands are skilled at feinting and clouting"- Springfield (Mass.) Union
- (n): a rotating pointer on the face of a timepiece; "the big hand counts the minutes"
- (n): the (prehensile) extremity of the superior limb; "he had the hands of a surgeon"; "he extended his mitt"
- (n): ability; "he wanted to try his hand at singing"
- (n): one of two sides of an issue; "on the one hand..., but on the other hand..."
- (n): something written by hand; "she recognized his handwriting"; "his hand was illegible"
- (n): a round of applause to signify approval; "give the little lady a great big hand"
- (n): the cards held in a card game by a given player at any given time; "I didn''t hold a good hand all evening"; "he kept trying to see my hand"
- (n): a position given by its location to the side of an object; "objections were voiced on every hand"
- (n): a card player in a game of bridge; "we need a 4th hand for bridge"
- (n): a member of the crew of a ship; "all hands on deck"
- (n): a hired laborer on a farm or ranch; "the hired hand fixed the railing"; "a ranch hand"
- (n): a unit of length equal to 4 inches; used in measuring horses; "the horse stood 20 hands"
- (v): guide or conduct or usher somewhere; "hand the elderly lady into the taxi"
- (v): place into the hands or custody of; "hand me the spoon, please"; "Turn the files over to me, please"; "He turned over the prisoner to his lawyers"
Examples of hand
- The left hand is considered unclean in India.
- Banjo players often also use the left hand, the fingering hand, to pick.
- The right hand is holding the grip and the left rests on the sheath.
- The bridegroom shall place his right hand upon the right shoulder of the bride.
- The left hand is considered unclean.
- He was suffering an affliction of the right hand.
- The back of the left hand and the left arm were swollen and purplish.
- The knife is held in the right hand and the fork in the left.
- Couldn't the chip be implanted in the left hand
- The man held the dagger in his left hand.