Thesaurus for help
Pronunciation of help: HH EH1 L P (hɛlp)
Number of syllables of help: 1
Pronunciation Video of help
Definition of help
- (n): the activity of contributing to the fulfillment of a need or furtherance of an effort or purpose; "he gave me an assist with the housework"; "could not walk without assistance"; "rescue party went to their aid"; "offered his help in unloading"
- (n): a means of serving; "of no avail"; "there''s no help for it"
- (n): a resource; "visual aids in teaching"; "economic assistance to depressed areas"
- (n): a person who contributes to the fulfillment of a need or furtherance of an effort or purpose; "my invaluable assistant"; "they hired additional help to finish the work"
- (v): improve the condition of; "These pills will help the patient"
- (v): improve; change for the better; "New slipcovers will help the old living room furniture"
- (v): help to some food; help with food or drink; "I served him three times, and after that he helped himself"
- (v): take or use; "She helped herself to some of the office supplies"
- (v): give help or assistance; be of service; "Everyone helped out during the earthquake"; "Can you help me carry this table?"; "She never helps around the house"
- (v): contribute to the furtherance of; "This money will help the development of literacy in developing countries"
- (v): abstain from doing; always used with a negative; "I can''t help myself--I have to smoke"; "She could not help watching the sad spectacle"
- (v): be of use; "This will help to prevent accidents"
Examples of help
- The bars help support the sand through the molding and pouring operation.
- The proceeds help to support the hermitage.
- He enlisted the support of Sogdian vizers to help him outwit the Chinese.
- The malcontents can't help themselves.
- Patience and forbearance will help.
- Many of these places also have a strong culture of extended family support, where grandparents often help with child care.
- Tony enlists the help of Christopher Moltisanti to help dispose of the body.
- Thanks for the help.
- The purpose of the braces are help support the necessary loading.
- Hand hygiene is the most effective way to help prevent the spread of organism.