Thesaurus for knock
Pronunciation of knock: N AA1 K
Number of syllables of knock: 1
Pronunciation Video of knock
Definition of knock
- (n): the act of hitting vigorously; "he gave the table a whack"
- (n): negative criticism
- (n): a bad experience; "the school of hard knocks"
- (n): the sound of knocking (as on a door or in an engine or bearing); "the knocking grew louder"
- (n): a vigorous blow; "the sudden knock floored him"; "he took a bash right in his face"; "he got a bang on the head"
- (v): find fault with; express criticism of; point out real or perceived flaws; "The paper criticized the new movie"; "Don''t knock the food--it''s free"
- (v): deliver a sharp blow or push :"He knocked the glass clear across the room"
- (v): knock against with force or violence; "My car bumped into the tree"
- (v): rap with the knuckles; "knock on the door"
- (v): sound like a car engine that is firing too early; "the car pinged when I put in low-octane gasoline"; "The car pinked when the ignition was too far retarded"
- (v): make light, repeated taps on a surface; "he was tapping his fingers on the table impatiently"