Pronunciation of know: N OW1 (noʊ)
Number of syllables of know: 1
Definition of know
- (v): accept (someone) to be what is claimed or accept his power and authority; "The Crown Prince was acknowledged as the true heir to the throne"; "We do not recognize your gods"
- (v): be familiar or acquainted with a person or an object; "She doesn''t know this composer"; "Do you know my sister?"; "We know this movie"; "I know him under a different name"; "This flower is known as a Peruvian Lily"
- (v): be cognizant or aware of a fact or a specific piece of information; possess knowledge or information about; "I know that the President lied to the people"; "I want to know who is winning the game!"; "I know it''s time"
- (v): be aware of the truth of something; have a belief or faith in something; regard as true beyond any doubt; "I know that I left the key on the table"; "Galileo knew that the earth moves around the sun"
- (v): know how to do or perform something; "She knows how to knit"; "Does your husband know how to cook?"
- (v): have fixed in the mind; "I know Latin"; "This student knows her irregular verbs"; "Do you know the poem well enough to recite it?"
- (v): have firsthand knowledge of states, situations, emotions, or sensations; "I know the feeling!"; "have you ever known hunger?"; "I have lived a kind of hell when I was a drug addict"; "The holocaust survivors have lived a nightmare"; "I lived through two d
- (v): perceive as familiar; "I know this voice!"
- (v): be able to distinguish, recognize as being different; "The child knows right from wrong"
- (v): know the nature or character of; "we all knew her as a big show-off"
- (v): have sexual intercourse with; "This student sleeps with everyone in her dorm"; "Adam knew Eve"; "Were you ever intimate with this man?"
Examples of know
- I don't know a whole lot about the locative but I know the endings.
- Anyone know the notability guidelines offhand
- You know, because the knotty problem.
- I know of your fiendish plans.
- You need to understand the intention of the author to know the signification.
- I know how to find subtrahend.
- Although I don't understand the political mumble jumble, I do know that.
- Does anybody know the website offhand
- Oh, didn't you know that
- I know three shiftless farmhands that'll be out of a job before they know it.